Is the Canon MR-14exII Macro Ring Lite for you?
There are many reasons to add more light to your subject. But before you do…know why you’re doing it.
When you’re making your work using a flash, you’ll want to think to your self, “Why am I using this”?
- To fill in shadows?
- Capture moving objects without them being blurry?
- To be creative?
- Because it’s just fun?
Let’s talk about the ring lite. If you like what you see, I’ll have a link at the bottom of the post where you can purchase it plus a few more goodies to go with the flash.
Info from Amazon
- Twin-tube ring lite designed for close-up photography with EF Macro lenses
- Shorter recycling time and reduced size
- Easy operation with illuminated dot-matrix LCD panel for easy flash settings in any lighting condition
- White LED focusing lamps and two forms of modeling flash permit preview of lighting effects
- Custom Functions: Twelve (in addition to any on camera) set on flash LCD, plus three Personal Functions
I did an unboxing video if you’re interested in buying the flash, but you’re still not sure what it really looks like.
Yes, I’m blurry….it happens. 😉
Now let’s talk about the power pack. This is where all the controls are.
I go over these buttons and a tip for you in the video:
- Mode Button
- Custom Function
- Exposure compensation +/-
- FEB – Exposure Bracketing
- Sync Modes – High Sync and Rear Shutter Curton
- Ratio Button – A,B, C
- Tip – Green light – Exposure Correct
- I also share how the ring light moves.
Next, let’s get out and use the flash outdoors.
Sometimes you may want black backgrounds on your image, but if you don’t and you’re using a flash, this can be a problem. In this video, I show you how to fix those black backgrounds from your flash. If you would like to read the complete article, you can here.
- Grab the best exposure you can from you camera. (Manual Mode)
- Next try ETTL to see how the image came out.
- If you don’t like it, you’ll need to set your flash on manual mode. Start playing with your ratios
- If that doesn’t work, set the flash sync to High Sync and adjust your flash while looking at your histogram.
I found a couple of great buys on Amazon…click below and start your journey using a Macro Ring Lite.
- Canon MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite (Black) This is just the light.
- Canon MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite Flash Bundle. USA. Value Kit with Acc #9389B002 Same price with goodies.
- Canon MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite with Cleaning Pen + Dust Blower + Remote Control + Battery Charger + Cleaning Kit Same price even more goodies!
This image was shot with the Canon MR-14ex II Macro Ring Lite. I took this photograph while I was live during a workshop with my apprentices in The Arcanum. I had some fun using textures and play with the tone. If you’d like free textures just sign-up for my email on this site. You’ll receive Challenges, Deep Dives, FREE Textures and insider info from me.
If you like to play with light you’ll have too much fun for sure! Of course, if you have any questions, please feel free to let me know below.